Non-Member Price: $29.95
NCTE Member Price: $21.95
Author(s): David Whitin, Phyllis Whitin
David and Phyllis Whitin offer K–6 teachers a wealth of ideas for integrating literature and mathematics.
Stock No.: 33487
In their second book copublished by the National Council of Teachers of English and the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, David and Phyllis Whitin offer K–6 teachers a wealth of ideas for integrating literature and mathematics, including:
- Specific criteria for evaluating math-related books, with emphasis on inquiry, critical thinking, diversity, and individual challenge
- Practical discussions about books and their use in K–6 classrooms
- An in-depth look at problem posing and book pairs as effective strategies for engaging all students
- Explicit connections made to NCTM’s Principles and Standards for School Mathematics (2000) and NCTE and IRA’s Standards for the English Language Arts (1996)
- Interesting sidebars of extension activities and text sets
- Practical strategies for introducing math-related books to children
- An annotated list of the best math-related literature available
This is a book filled with numerous examples of children’s work, many of which are drawn from widely diverse, multicultural classrooms. Each chapter discusses a range of books and classroom applications to show how teachers can skillfully integrate such books to meet school objectives in language arts and mathematics. It is this dual perspective that makes the book unique. With its inviting tone and practical suggestions, New Visions for Linking Literature and Mathematics is an invaluable resource for the elementary school classroom.
171 pp. 2004. Grades K–6. NCTE and National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
ISBN 10: 0-8141-3348-7; ISBN 13: 978-0-8141-3348-4.
Click here for related ReadWriteThink lesson plans by Phyllis and David Whitin.
* Sample files are typically provided in PDF format and can be opened using the free Adobe®
Reader® program or a comparable viewer.
Click here to download and install the most recent version of Adobe Reader.