Non-Member Price: $99.00
NCTE Member Price: $49.00
Presenter(s): Douglas Fisher, Carol Rothenberg
This Web seminar recording includes all audio, video, chat discussion, and actions from the Live presentation.
Access to the recording is available in your Digital Locker after purchase.
Level(s): Secondary, Middle
Until now “assign, define, and test” has been the default strategy for teaching vocabulary in many classrooms. Unfortunately that will not close the word gap that learners experience. Instead, we should focus on a five-part framework for teaching vocabulary, including:
- Make it intentional: purposefully select words for instruction and use the word lists wisely
- Make it transparent: model word-solving and word-learning for students
- Make it useable: offer peer collaboration and oral practice to lock in concepts
- Make it personal: provide independent practice so students own words
- Make it a priority: create a schoolwide initiative or word learning